International students are an integral part of Hills Grammar community.
We highly value our multicultural student population which is enriched by those who come to us from all over the world.
An International student will hold a student visa to study in Australia. The School also enrols applicants whose families may be in Australia for short-term stays or on business or temporary resident visas.
Full fee-paying international students can apply for entry into the School at any grade. It is a school policy that students applying for entry into Junior School (Kindergarten to Year 6) must be living with a parent whilst enrolled. Students applying for entry into the Senior School (Years 7-12) can either be living with a parent, a Department of Immigration and Border Protecion (DIBP) Approved relative or in Homestay Accommodation which is arranged by the School.
The School requires that all international students, regardless of age have a guardian appointed for the duration of their enrolment who can act on behalf of the student’s parents or legal carers and assist with all aspects of the student’s welfare including on-going communication with the School whilst residing in Australia.
The Hills Grammar has appointed ISA Guardian and Welfare Services as our approved provider for this service. All students living in a homestay situation and the majority of students living with an approved relative or parent will be required to have an ISA appointed guardian for the duration of their studies. This requirement will only be waived in favour of an alternate guardian in exceptional circumstances including, but not limited to:
- the School is at any given time unable to organise an ISA guardian with suitable language skills from the student’s country of origin to enable them to fulfil their communication role between the student, the School and the parent or approved accommodation provider;
- the parent with whom the student is living whilst enrolled at the Hills Grammar School or nominated approved guardian speaks a very high level of English to be determined via interview with members of the School’s Welfare and Enrolment team prior to enrolment
International students are required to have overseas student health cover (OSHC) for the length of their student visa and must show evidence of this before commencing enrolment.
All international students need to provide evidence of English proficiency when submitting an enrolment application. The School will accept testing results from iSTART Online and AEAS. It is the responsibility of the parents to arrange for students to be tested. The cost of assessment test is paid for by the parents.
The School has appointed Australian Boarding Schools International (ABSI) to facilitate and manage international student enquiries and applications for Hills Grammar. ABSI is not an agent; it is a member of our admissions team. Agents should direct enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hills Grammar School is a registered provider on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and complies with the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the obligations laid down in the National Code 2018.
The School is registered and accredited by the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) to provide courses of studies for students from Kindergarten to Year 12. Students are eligible to receive the NSW Higher School Certificate on the successful completion of their Year 12 studies.
Below are some of the reasons why international students choose to come to Hills Grammar.
- Pre-Kindergarten – Year 12, co-educational, independent, non-sectarian school.
- A vibrant community of students from many different cultures, background and faiths.
- Beautiful bushland campus: inspiring natural environment, native wildlife,18ha of landscaped grounds.
- Caring teaching and non-teaching staff, dedicated to the safety and welfare of students.
- A curriculum that is designed to enrich and extend and caters for a wide range of interests.
- Excellent academic results. In past Higher School Certificate results students have placed in the top ten in the state in Mathematics, Latin, Ancient History, Extension 1 English, Modern History, Visual Arts, Hospitality and Information Technology with most of our students gaining first choice entry into University in Australia and overseas.
- Exceptional facilities including climate controlled classrooms, science laboratories, industrial technology workshop, hospitality kitchen, dedicated performance spaces, art studios, gymnasium and fitness centre and an international sized sports oval.
- Extensive co-curricular program, including sport, creative arts, music and leadership.
- Support for Non-English speaking students (ESL).
- A long and successful association with International Students since 1992.
- In order commence the application process, international students are required to submit an application form which must be signed by both parents/carers. Please fill in the online International Students Application Form at your earliest convenience. It is essential that applications include the following supporting documentation
- A copy of the student's birth certificate, translated into English if necessary
- A copy of the information page of the student’s passport
- A copy of the student’s latest school report translated into English
- A copy of the student’s English Proficiency test results (ISTART Online or ASAS).
- Our International Student Admissions Team will acknowledge your application and may ask for additional information if necessary.
- All students will be required to participate in a pre-enrolment interview with the Enrolments Manager or the Head of International Students. This is usually arranged over Skype or WeChat at a mutually convenient time.
- If your application is successful, you will be given a Letter of Offer for Enrolment.
- To accept the Letter of Offer for Enrolment, you will need to pay the scheduled fees and sign and return all relevant documents to the admissions office.
- Upon successful receipt of these documents and after payment has been cleared, a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and the Confirmation of Approved Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) will be released.
- Prior to the commencement date, the School will send the student information about their first day, as well as and general requirements regarding uniforms, books and subject choices. Information and contact details about any required Homestay Accommodation will also be provided during this time.
Important Information and Documentation
Accredited Intensive English Courses on Campus
Since 2014, Hills Grammar has offered eligible international students the opportunity to study intensive English prior to their High School enrolment. Hills International Education (HIE) teaches quality intensive English programs which are delivered on campus and often integrated into mainstream classes such as Mathematics, Physical Education and House Tutor Groups.
This way, the students get to know the campus, their peers and their teachers before moving into their mainstream classes. HIE is a nurturing environment with up to 15 students attending at a time and several staff members available to care for their schooling and social needs.
There are many benefits having Intensive English on campus;
- Students are part of the Hills Grammar community and are involved in many facets of school life
- Students work towards achieving an acceptable level of language proficiency for entry into mainstream classes
- Students are supported academically and socially through a transition program
- Safe and supportive homestay accommodation environments can be facilitated by the School
- Students have access to support services, counselling and academic advice
- Students are provided with opportunities to develop meaningful relationships with their peers
- Highly qualified and dedicated teachers deliver the courses
The following High School Preparation Courses are offered to eligible students
- Upper Intermediate
Students are required to provide evidence of English proficiency prior to enrolments in HIE.
For further information please contact the Enrolments Manager at email@example.com